2.6.10

Categories and Cal

One of my favorite authors has just recently released a new book, Chimera by Rob Thurman. She truly is one of my favorite authors because her books not only strongly remind me of another good author, Jim Butcher, but also because they are unique to her. Because of her new books i recently just read through one of her serieses and am about to start another before buying her new book. The book i finished tonight, Roadkill, depicts the character development that both Rob Thurman and Jim Butcher create in their series's of books.

They have a great style for those who love character as the core of their stories because the series's cover years which allows for the people in the stories to evolve and change. You don't just have the epic fight at the climax, you also get the aftermath in the next book. you don't get the problems of sudden angst like the jump from Harry Potter 4 to Potter 5. You don't get characters who start their summer vacation happy and are filled with snark and rage 2 months later. You get characters who start with snark and get more snark.

The reason i am writing this post is that i had a thought when i finished Rob Thurman's book and was sitting there going through my early stages of withdrawal. As with all good books i got hooked, when i start re-reading her series i was taking a week or more to finish a book, the last took less than a day.

Anywho, while i was drifting through my post-book-induced-high i was thinking about the characters in her books, about how the main character always has these unchartable depths, but the other characters begin to come through as flat after a few times of reading the books. I wasn't sure why, her writing had never seemed that way to me before, it never seemed like stock characters any time i had read them before.

And that was when i realized why they all had become stereotypes to me. The fact that i had read them so many times had ingrained this idea of who they were into me making them into a stereotype when i read it.

That got me thinking about people i know, and the way they fall into categories when i think about them. They fall into the categories of the people i have met in the past, those with their strong personalities that have left their marks on me become the stereotypes my friends now fall into. The varying amounts of differing personalities are the way i make sense of people. It makes me wonder if there will always be some way that i lump people together, even if they are categories based on personality.

No comments:

Post a Comment