25.6.10

Down in the Dumps, Up in Creativity

So i had an idea recently that was inspired by a friend of mine. What happened was she got out of a really terrible relationship and entered into a so far really healthy relationship. She has finished school, her job is looking towards more what she wants. Basically for her, life rocks.

And while i am in general happy with my life there are a few things i would change if i had god-like powers (and no i am not going to tell them what they are, too bad!) and at the same time am getting tonnes of ideas on what to write about and story/blog ideas.

As well it got me thinking about the last time that there wasn't anything i wanted to change in my life. Oh my god it was the largest... well dry spell, for creative ideas that i have ever had.

No matter what i did or what i thought about all the ideas i wrote about were, to sum it up in one word, CRAP! They were ideas that i wrote about because i still had to write but my well of quality had run dry.

That brings me to the question i am raising here, does creativity really rely on dark thoughts and urges for change or am i just someone who only knows how to draw on that?

2 comments:

  1. I suppose, at least for me, that I just find it easier to write when I'm feeling dark and moody. That's when I want to imagine a different world or adventures happening to people who aren't me. But since I've started writing reviews with the requirement of at least one going up a week I've started to learn how to write no matter how my life is going. I find music or images that inspire me and go from there.

    I guess what I'm saying with that ramble is, you aren't the only one who works that way but working through that block (while tricky) is rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When most people are happy, they're not thinking about themselves. They're just taking the time to enjoy everything around them without interrogating their own thoughts.

    When most people are sad, they can only think of themselves and how the world relates to them.

    Sadness, ironically, gives you a better worldview. But you can still be creative while you're happy, by using your "lack of self thought" as a lens to see the rest of the world objectively rather than subjectively.

    Sometimes objectivity is good; creativity doesn't have to stop at opinions.

    I think I write better when I'm sad; but I like what I create when I'm happy more.

    ReplyDelete