19.5.10

Music and Words

Hi there, i'm back here writing some more stuff for those who have a lot of spare time to read my pointless gibber gabber written here. This one i feel an urge to write because of a conversation i had with a guy in a bar on the weekend.

See, as i have said before, when it comes down to it i am a writer, it belongs to me and i belong to it. My soul is made of words. My spirit is formed from phrases, the flit and flirt together through my mind at all time, whether i am sleeping or standing or shocked to speechlessness.

Anywho though, the guy i was talking to at the bar, he understood this in a way, but where as i focus on words and speech, he focuses on music. We talked about the idea of what came first, language or music, as well as what was the thing that expresses things better, words or music.

Our discussion became so involved that we stopped playing cool and switched bars so that we could focus on talking instead.

I have to say that tonight on the bus ride home from class i could understand his viewpoint when i was listening to my ipod. I have to say that if i was forced to choose between music or language i would still have to choose language but not by much.

I almost broke into song on the bus because the music i was listening to aligned so closely with what i was feeling at the time. And this just reminds me of something i have listened to on podcasts before. The idea is one concerning food, that people need to take their time and eat slowly. The idea with music is to sit and listen to it as well, and do nothing else but listen to music at the time.

Sit with your favorite artists, be they writers, singers, or even painters, and just focus on the art. Let it soak into you, let it feed your soul. Grow and learn as you do so.

1 comment:

  1. a) i am awesome at introducing people.
    b) you're arguments are interesting. and you have a wonderful way with words. i agree with your thoughts that you belong to words and vice versa.

    c) what if my favourite art is complicated math i can't understand?

    great post. gave me something happy to think about this evening/ consider on my morning bikeride!

    -L

    ReplyDelete