6.6.09

Burnout

Burnout. I gotta say that is a familiar feeling to me. How many other people are used to working so hard on something that i feel completely exhausted and no longer have any desire to put forth any more effort. It has become kind of a pathetically short time until i feel burnt out now though.

Take this blog, going barely for a month and already i am starting to get tired of putting out the effort of posting. I mean come on, i need to SIT DOWN, and write WHATEVER I AM THINKING ABOUT. Oh and make sure it is spelled properly too. For the most part at least.

But i think that the kind of burnout i am familiar with is caused when stress from one area of my life tends to dominate the rest of my life. For the past several weeks i have been working at my job almost every single day, which is awesome cause i am going to university in the fall and need the money really badly. Yet i don't like my job. At all. At least most of the time, there are moments when i am ashamed to say i do enjoy it...

So the stress of this, of dealing with stupid/rude/just plain old fashioned annoying customers has bled over to the other areas of my life making me feel less enthusiasm for the things which generally i would enjoy so instead i find myself seeking solitude so that i can sink temporarily into a pit of self pity. All in all not a good idea, so i usually drag myself out (or my girlfriend does, as she is much better at it than i am, can we get a round of applause please?).

But this has me wondering, is this kind of burnout where you get sick of life and quit doing anything a common thing? I mean with the stresses of modern life we aren't really designed to handle. Think about the pecking order of a customer service situation. No matter how dominate you normally would be you have to be subordinate to the customer, and try not to piss them off.

As well you have to deal with being less than almost everyone you run across in the pecking order. Consider the fact that in the human brain you can be close (reasonably so) to about 150 people, meaning that as a tribe size you should have a place somewhere within that 150 people's dominance ranking, not at the top, but not the bottom either.

Versus now where we get to feel like the bottom or close to for extended periods of time, before going home to sleep and starting it all over again. Now again this might just be me, i might suffer from some sort of personality quirk which has me desire to tell these people to go stuff themselves each time they open their mouths, but hey what can i do? Move on? Quit being so petty? Grow up?

I am trying to do all of the above, but it is a process, so until i do I'll suffer the burnout.

No comments:

Post a Comment