22.3.10

Oblivion

So here i go to continue my theme of sleep. I have to write this post out to all of you because my mind literally got hijacked at one point today and i stopped thinking about what i was doing, and instead thought out a possible way to write this post. It was very interesting, one second thinking about the homework i have to do, the next my mind becomes consumed with thoughts of oblivion.

Yes, you read that right, i am writing about oblivion. Sleep, unconsciousness, fainting, being knocked out, all make a reference to oblivion, or at least they have when i have read them. It is in a way true that sleep is a form of oblivion, you can't really consciously percive anything that is activly happening in the real world unless you happen to be some kind of prophet or seer (in which case care to send me the lottery numbers for next week?).

Sleep is a time for refreshing and restoring yourself, it is the time where your brain makes connections to learn new things and incorporate new experiences into who you are. Dreams have been shown to help learn new things and ingrain a number of different thoughts into your mind.

But now i want to take sleep and turn it into a metaphor for interpersonal reactions and life. There is a quote that i can't completely remember or where it came from, but it goes something like there are so many people just wandering through their lives in some kind of stupor like they are asleep and need to just wake up.

This is truly a wonderful thought on life, people need to wake up and experience things instead of just dreaming them and treating them if they are not real. I am going to use myself as an example here so be well aware that this means i will most likely sound preachy and self righteous, you have been warned.

Anywho why am i in university? Because i was told to by my mom or else. Yes, that is why i am here, blame her. Anywho though what kind of degree am i getting? A double major in psychology and philosophy with a minor in Anthropology or Indigenous studies to balance it out. I also am planning on taking at least a few biology courses. Why am i doing all this, when i know that it will send me into a giant pit of debt that i doubt i will ever escape? Because i want to experience life and learn about all the things that interest me.

That is what being awake in life for me means, being able to be myself and learn all i can. It means taking the experiences life offers me and running with them for as long as i care to. It means acting when it is time to act and holding back when it is time to hold back.

But then there is a way i am oblivious, and i choose to be. That is with my actions with other people, i choose to be oblivious of things if people don't come and talk to me about them. I truly believe in the idea that if it is important come talk to me about it, and if it isn't then it doesn't really matter.

As well if i think i see something but know that it isn't important for people enough for them to act on it then i wont, instead i choose for other people to move and bring up things. I instead keep things easier by not bring up things with other people that i could and let them instead.

I guess my recommendation from this is that if there is something you want to talk about or think you need to talk about then do it. If you don't think it is important enough then play oblivious.

2 comments: