12.2.10

Opening

So tonight I sat down and actually watched a lot of the opening of the Olympic Games in Vancouver. It was... Well awesome. That is just about the only way to really put it, keep in mind that this is also the first time I have ever actually sat down and watched anything at all to do with the Olympics.

Well technically it isn't the first time, I mean back in grade school when the men's hockey team and women's hockey team won the gold on the same year for the first time in a while we all sat in the gym and watched. But that doesn't count. That was to get out of class.

I think I also need to explain my view of sports because it is kinda confusing, even to me. Seen I have an incredibly overly competitive nature, while I am terrible at sports so I tend to not really play or play only for fun, which I somehow manage to do (who knows? *shrug*). However I find watching sports so incredibly dull that I don't ever really sit down and watch.

I can enjoy playing any single sport out there but I tend to be really ridiculously competitive with all of them. As such I don't tend to play them and I don't tend to watch them. Add into this that I am a person who has never been much of a team player and you see that I am more along the lines of someone who wants to gets to do things all by them self.

As such there really isn't much value to me personally in things like the Olympics; rather I tend to find my joys in things like reading and writing or my terrible painting and drawing. I like my arts over sports and tend to favour them. As I said in a conversation tonight about the Olympic funding "personally I say take away the funding and give it to the schools instead." I am far more in favour of individual improvement over teamwork.

But watching the opening of the Olympics I saw the kind of joy and pride that can be taken in working something so wonderful together. I think when it comes to methods of encouraging international change they could become one of the best tools out there.

I probably should wait till tomorrow at least to finish this but I feel like doing it now. I think that the slam poet at the end of the opening ceremonies was the most inspiring part to me personally. And yet it was so sad because listening to him I couldn't help but think about how my opinion about Canadians over the last couple years had changed from one similar to his to one seeing Canadians to the idea of the international US citizen.

So I think that perhaps over the next year we should see if we can become just a little closer to being like the people he described in his poetry.

No comments:

Post a Comment